This pasta bake is packed with goodness – lots of nutrients from the spinach and tomatoes plus protein and fibre from the lentils. It’s a great recipe to make in bulk and eat across the week or freeze for later! Leftovers anyone?
Serve with salad or garlic bread.
Makes 6-8 portions
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 230g red lentils
- 800ml water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 400g pasta of choice
- 175g cheddar cheese, grated Handful of chopped basil Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Add the olive oil to a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, basil and water and bring to a simmer
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened and the lentils are cooked
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to packet instructions
- Add the pasta to the lentil sauce and stir to combine, stir through the spinach
- Add to an ovenproof dish and top with the cheese. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes