Autumn is here are I am so here for the change in season! In season this month is butternut squash and pumpkin – the perfect combination for a warming soup.
This soup has just the right balance of savoury and sweet flavours with a silky, smooth texture. The perfect rainy-day lunch and cosy evening soup.
Be sure to keep your pumpkin seeds for roasting to top your soup with or to make the perfect snack.
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 onion, sliced into chunks
- 1 medium butternut squash, chopped into cubes
- 1 medium pumpkin, chopped into cubes (or 400g pumpkin puree)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 knob of butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Crème fraiche
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, stirring frequently for 10 minutes until softened
- Add the vegetable stock, butternut squash and pumpkin to the pan
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer, stir through the thyme, cinnamon, chilli, salt and pepper and cook for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is soft
- Blend using a handheld blender or in bathes into a food processor until smooth
- Roast your pumpkin seeds in the oven for around 10 minutes and add to the soup along with extra seasoning and crème fraiche