This fabulous traditional chestnut stuffing recipe uses fresh chestnuts and makes a very delicious and rich side dish. It’s perfect for alongside your turkey on Christmas Day or any festive gathering!
Chestnuts are in season for December and add a subtle nutty flavour to this easy recipe and a wonderful texture. Serve with some roasted green vegetables and whatever main dish you fancy.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 225g dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
- 225g white breadcrumbs
- 75g butter or olive oil
- 225g chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Large handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 600ml water
- Preheat oven 200 degrees centigrade and butter a shallow ovenproof dish
- Add 600ml water into a pan with the onion and apricots. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about five minutes then drain
- Put the breadcrumbs into a large bowl. Melt the butter in a frying pan and pour half of this onto the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chestnuts over a high heat in the remaining butter until lightly browned. Tip into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the apricots, onion and parsley to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into the buttered ovenproof dish and bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until crisp and hot right through